Subject to Change

When converting a school bus, it's smart to adopt the following motto and do it as soon as possible:

All Plans Are Subject To Change. And change again. And again. And ...


Our floor plan has changed at least three times in the last week. Our color scheme for the outside of the bus has changed at least three times in the last two weeks. We keep going back and forth about the best method for a toilet (with water or without). One day we are building storage underneath for potable water, the next day we are building a platform bed in the back and sticking the tanks underneath. Do we separate the toilet and shower or put them together?

You see what I mean.

Just call me Bendy because I am just all kinds of flexible right now.

It's all very exciting and it is so easy to jump in head first and want to attack every little thing in order to get it done ASAP. The whole purpose is to get on the road and, especially when it's been an ongoing dream and obsession for over 2 years, it's hard to pull back and breathe. And think. And consider all angles. And be practical and smart about things. It's in the backyard, for crying out loud! FINALLY! That's why it's good to have a level headed member of the family to pull you in and remind you of the reality the situation holds. Granted, some days you are the crazy one and some days you are the level headed one. And I honestly don't believe one is always better than the other. I just believe they are both necessary.

So. Discussions continue to be held. Ideas continue to be shared. Dreams continue to be had. And plans continue to change. It's all good. Really.

One idea that is taking shape and I really hope doesn't change is what we intend to do with the inside "ceiling" of the bus. Once a conclusion is reached about the final insulation method, it needs to be painted. I, being the dreamy nature, Earth girl that I am - decided that I want the ceiling to be a sky. With clouds. Kind of like this:

photo taken in my backyard last weekend




I found a great video demonstrating almost exactly how I want it to look. Jim has given me the ok to do it this way and even suggested I do a practice run on an old piece of wood or something first to get the hang of it.

Even with this, the motto applies. Soon after agreeing we would paint a sky with clouds on the ceiling, Jim comes up with the idea to have the sky transform from a day sky to a night sky as it moves from the front to the back of the bus. He just so happened to have this idea at the exact same time that I was thinking about it. (We do that a lot.) So we are going to go for it and have a fading sky for a ceiling.

Then again, it's all subject to change.

Stay tuned to see how it all works out. If nothing else, it should be interesting.

2 comments:

goodkarma said...

i certainly understand wanting to get right in and do it all at once. but have faith that the "right" choices will become clear. be patient, and Fernie will tell you what to do.

FernMistress said...

i agree. and while there is that side of me that has been waiting to do this for so long and is impatient as hell, i'm honestly trying my hardest to reign it in and let the more logical, patient side get some time in as well.

Post a Comment